Thursday, September 29, 2005

Think Pink

Well, the great insulation installation is completed. 15 rolls of  insulation, 4 days of going into the crawl space, 1 outfit washed 5 times. Maybe not everyone’s idea of vacation, but it should cut down on the drafts and hopefully the power bills come the long expensive winter.

The old insulation was R-7 and spottily applied. The new is R-19 and put up over the old stuff  per the suggestion of a few experienced house builders. The insulation itself was a lot easier to handle than I expected. The old stuff was invasive, getting into and through clothes. I didn’t have a problem with the new stuff, though I did my best to avoid skin contact.

The biggest challenge was where the crawl space got tight  with about 16 inches between the sand and the wood. Crawling was impossible, wiggling and rolling was the order of the day. Fortunately the tightest spots were under the living room  and away from the vents where the spiders had made inroads. I only saw one black widow and a couple mousy brown tunnel spiders the entire time under the house.  One ancient snake skin and the husks of some 5-inch millipedes as well. If I had seen any live snakes, the whole project probably would have been postponed.

No nightmares yet, though I was pretty sure at the time I had some in my future. We’ll see.








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home