Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Gut Check Time

Hit the polls early this morning. No line, I was number 76 at the station. I was thinking it was a sign of low turnout, but a friend told me we had 5000 early voters as of this past weekend. Now won't that make things interesting? No shenanigans at the polling station to speak of. Now, if I was a secular progressive troublemaker, I suppose I could say I was intimidated by being told to "Have a blest day" both by the lady handing out the ballots and and by the lady minding the ballot reader/box. Oh the Theocracy! Oh the Horror!

I happily hit the Straight Ticket for the Republicans, and voted nonpartisanly against all of the incumbent judges who just happened to be Dems. We didn't have any national races on the ballot, so my vote was more along the "civic duty" line than from a deep abiding passion for a particular candidate.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing Al Roseman take out Julie Boseman. Mr. Roseman ran a tough, no apologies campaign I found refreshing. Ms. Boseman is a Democrat rising star in state politics, attractive, likeable, and probably far too popular to be knocked out, but now's the time to do it.

I am hoping in my heart of hearts for a massive repudiation of the pre-election polling. It hasn't reflected Republican turnout accurately for several election cycles, and I'm hoping this is the year it jumps the shark.

Hope you voted. Maybe in the next week or so we'll know who won.